OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTER
Government of the Cook Islands
Invitation for Bids
CK171815 Rarotonga Battery Energy Storage Systems “Power Station” and “Airport South”
Date: 10 November 2017 (Cook Island Time)
Loan no. and Title: L3193/G0415/G0493-COO: Renewable Energy Sector Project.
Contract no. and Title: CIRESP-006- CK171815 Rarotonga Battery Energy Storage Systems “Power Station” and “Airport South” under Cook Islands Renewable Energy Sector Project (COO46453-002) – Phase 2 (Rarotonga)
Deadline for Submission of Bids: Extended to 20 February 2018, 12:00 midday (Cook Island Time)
1. The Government of the Cook Islands has received financing from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), European Union (EU) and Green Climate Fund (GCF) toward the cost of the Renewable Energy Sector Project. This contract will be financed by GCF and ADB will administer the co-financing resources. Procurement rules and procedures of ADB will govern the bidding process. Bidding is open to all Bidders without nationality restriction.
2. The Office of the Prime Minister, Government of the Cook Islands (“the Employer”) invites sealed bids from eligible Bidders for the design, construction, installation, integration in the existing power system infrastructure and commission of renewable energy facilities (“the Facilities”) in two (2) lots as shown below:
LOT 1: “Power station” battery energy storage system (BESS) for grid stability support
(i) A BESS to be installed at the Rarotonga Power Station of the electricity utility Te Aponga Uira (TAU), on the island of Rarotonga, and connected to the power station main switchgear and SCADA. The BESS is intended to provide reserve capacity, voltage and frequency control to the Rarotonga grid to enable increasing renewable generation in the grid.
(ii) The BESS shall provide and include
- a fully integrated, modular system, suitable for extended service in local conditions
- capability to charge and discharge at 2 MW (with overload capacity to 4 MW)
- usable storage capacity of at least 1 MWh
- advanced control and grid stability functionality
- high voltage (11 kV) electrical connection to the grid
- interface to the TAU SCADA.
LOT 2: “Airport South” BESS for load shifting
(iii) A BESS to be installed at the TAU substation yard adjacent to the Rarotonga Airport, on the island of Rarotonga and connected to the electricity grid. The BESS is intended to provide increased flexibility for the TAU to manage the output of increasing capacity of renewable generation in the grid, by storing solar generation during the day for use at night and providing grid support.
(iv) The BESS shall provide and include
a fully integrated, modular system, suitable for extended service in local conditions
usable storage capacity of 8 MWh
capability to charge and discharge at 2 MW
high voltage (11 kV) electrical connection to the grid
interface to the TAU SCADA
grid support functions.
Bidders may bid for one or both lots as further defined in the Bidding Document.
3. International Competitive Bidding will be conducted in accordance with ADB’s Single-Stage: One-Envelope bidding procedure and is open to Bidders without nationality restrictions.
4. Only eligible bidders with the following key qualifications should participate in this bidding:
(v) Minimum average annual turnover of:
(vi) Minimum financial resources of:
(vii) Participation in at least one contract that has been successfully or substantially completed within the last 5 years and that are similar to the proposed contract, where the value of the Bidder’s participation exceeds:
5. To obtain further information and obtain a free electronic copy of the bidding documents, eligible bidders should contact:
Attention: Tangi Tereapii
Street Address: Vakatini Road
City: Avarua, Rarotonga
ZIP Code: 0000
Country: Cook Islands
Telephone: 682 29300
Electronic mail address: email@example.com
Note: Tangi Tereapii will be on leave between 24th November and 9th December 2017.
Please copy (Cc) all correspondence to Ngateina Rani at firstname.lastname@example.org and to Teresa Manarangi-Trott at email@example.com during this period including any question that requires clarification.
6. Eligible Bidders who (optionally) wish to purchase a hard copy of the bidding documents should:
Write to the address above requesting the bidding documents for Rarotonga Battery Energy Storage Systems “Power Station” and “Airport South” under Cook Islands Renewable Energy Sector Project (COO46453-002) – Phase 2 (Rarotonga)
Pay a non-refundable fee of 100 New Zealand Dollars (or equivalent USD) by cash or transfer through a bank account.
The Bank account of the Employer:
Name of Bank: Bank of the South Pacific
In favor of: CIG Public Account
Account No.: 0127107401
7. Pre-bid meeting will be held at the Office of the Prime Minister, Renewable Energy Development Division, on Tuesday, 28 November, 2017, at 11:00 am. This will be followed directly by a site visit.
8. Deliver your bid:
to the address above
on or before 20th February 2018, 12:00 Noon (Cook Islands Time) **EXTENDED**
together with a Bid Security as described in the Bidding Document
Electronic submission of bid is not permitted.
Bids will be opened immediately after the deadline for bid submission in the presence of the Bidders’ representatives who choose to attend. Late bids will be rejected.
Download Invitation for Bids below:
Download Employer Notices below: